|Arnold Constable & Co. building, Broadway facade, April 2013. Photo: Anne Kumer|
It looked (and looks) something like this:
|The Arnold Constable & Co. building showing the Fifth Avenue facade looking east, 1877. Image: archiseek|
In 1914, the NYT reported another move uptown to an undisclosed location. That location turned out to be the corner of West 40th Street and Fifth Avenue, directly across from the main NYPL building (built in 1911), near Bryant Park, and just one block south of this. The company traded in its cast iron and mansard glory for a much less decorative structure. French Second Empire be damned.
|After the move to West 40th and Fifth Avenue, 1915. Image: MCNY|
This location is now the home of the NYPL Mid-Manhattan branch, but might not be for too long, though this could delay the progress some. The Mansard-ed up Broadway building is still home to a large retailer though: ABC Carpet & Home.
Ladies' Mile Historic District designation report
Hendrickson, Robert. The Grand Emporiums, p. 154-155